Saturday, June 5, 2010

butterfly art


Well I've been 'experimenting' with my son James.  Nothing too sinister, he's has just been my guinea pig.

I was asked if I could come up with some art ideas for our local preschool. In particular some artwork that they can 'hang up', make the place look a bit more creative.  Hence the butterflies.  This was a task that I did with Miss Beatie and her lovely friends during the school holidays and it seemed to work o.k. 

So here are the step-by-step photos and instructions that I have done for the preschool.


Step 1: Paint a piece of paper using different colours.  Watercolour works best.

Step 2: Let dry.

Step 3: Then draw a circle and a square on the paper.  They both need to be similar size.  Try to use the whole piece of paper.  (I like to use a plate to trace the circle.)



Step 4: Cut both out.



Step 5: Fold each shape in half.  The square should be now a triangle.



Step 6: Open out again, then concertina fold (like a fan) each piece.



Step 7: Then fold each one in half.  Now open up.

Step 8: Fan out each side/shape.



Step 9: Join the 2 pieces together using string, or pipe cleaner.

Step 10: Finished.  Ready to hang. 
Here's one that Miss Beatie did previously and proudly hangs in our home.They can be further decorated with glitter and other nice papers.




2 comments:

Mrs Lubinski said...

Love the addition of pipe cleaners. Great instructions :)

caz said...

My daughter made one of these with Louky and they look great.