Saturday, October 23, 2010

Going Soft.

I know it's strange but until yesterday I hadn't made a softie doll.  This is Paula, who I felt needed to be made after reading about the Softies for Mirabel challenge. 



I have made a softie before when I worked at the Central Coast Rudolf Steiner School.  I did a unit with the wonderfully creative year 10 students where they printed their lino prints onto fabric, then used that fabric and others to produce an organic shape which was then turned into a softie.  It was an introductory fibre art exercise as later in the year they were making a wearable art piece to enter into the Wave exhibition at Shearwater Steiner School at Mullimbimby on the north coast of NSW. 

My students made some great outfits out of recycled materials including a dress out of rubber thongs, another out of old film negatives and seatbelts.  Just wish I'd taken photos of them.



So anyway this is Paula and I don't know if she'll be leaving Nords Wharf as Hamish has taken a bit of a shine to her!


I expect you'll be seeing more little creatures over the next week or so as Miss Beatie has already started 'designing' hers.

And finally just a reminder
Brown Owls is on again!
This Tuesday the 26th October
at the Nords Wharf Community hall, 7-9pm. 

I'll be doing a lino print demo and I'll have a few pieces of lino for you to try carving to see if you like it! 

Or you can bring along some art/craft work that you've been working on.

We always have plenty of inspirational materials and activities to get you started as well.

All it costs is a gold coin to cover the cost of the hall. 
Tea & coffee and nibbles provided.
See you there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paula is perfect!. I love her eyes, mouth and great big heart.
I found some other interesting sites for you and your followers to check out:

larkmade - look out for meet me at mikes on this one

myplacebowral - i am loving the patterns from Amy Butler